ISIS intensifies its attacks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Tuesday – 2 Rajab 1444 AH – January 24, 2023 AD Issue No [
Congolese police speak to demonstrators demanding the authorities to impose an agreed withdrawal of the “March 23” movement rebels from the territory of Goma, North Kivu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo (Reuters)
Nouakchott: Sheikh Mohammed
Local sources reported that at least 23 people were killed Sunday night – Monday, in a terrorist attack that took place in a village in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, attributed to the “Allied Democratic Forces”, which the United States classified as a terrorist organization last year, due to its association with the “ISIS” organization.
“24 people, including 6 women, were killed in the (Allied Democratic Forces) storming a small village in eastern Congo,” the French press agency quoted the head of the local civil society in eastern Democratic Congo, Roger Wangev. However, the regional deputy, Saidi Balikuesha, spoke during a visit to the village that “23 people were killed.”
This attack comes one day after the government army liberated 26 hostages who were kidnapped by the “Allied Democratic Forces” from another region in eastern Congo. The military authorities said that they had arrested two armed members of the “Allied Democratic Forces” and confiscated 4 “AK-47” automatic rifles.
A local human rights organization had previously said that the hostages were taken last Friday, when militiamen entered the Samalico area and took away the victims who were cultivating their fields.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo is suffering from escalating armed unrest, as more than 120 armed groups are active in the eastern regions of the African country, which is rich in precious and rare minerals, while terrorist organizations have entered the line, most notably ISIS, which aspires to penetrate into Equatorial Africa.
In 2021, the United States included the “Allied Democratic Forces” on its list of terrorist organizations.
A few days ago, the terrorist organization claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing that targeted a church in North Kivu province, east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in which 10 people were killed and 39 wounded, while the authorities arrested a person they said had Kenyan citizenship, suspected of being involved in the attack.
Meanwhile, ISIS, in a statement broadcast on its Telegram account, claimed responsibility for the attack on the church. But Congo’s information ministry said the “bomb attack was unequivocally perpetrated by (ADF) terrorists.” Since 2021, a joint military operation between the Congolese forces and the Ugandan forces has begun to target members of the Allied Democratic Forces in Congolese territory; But the attacks continued.