Germany: New details about the train attack, revealing the suspect’s identity | DW Arabic News | Breaking news and perspectives from around the world | DW

Germany: New details about the train attack, revealing the suspect’s identity | DW Arabic News | Breaking news and perspectives from around the world | DW
Germany: New details about the train attack, revealing the suspect’s identity | DW Arabic News | Breaking news and perspectives from around the world | DW
-

German police announced on Wednesday (January 25, 2023) that at least two people were killed and seven others were injured in a knife attack on a local train in northern Germany, explaining that the alleged perpetrator had been arrested. A Flensburg police spokesman said the attack took place on Wednesday afternoon on a local train between the city of Kiel in the state of Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg.

The Interior Minister of the state of Schleswig-Holstein, Zabena Zutterlin-Vack, confirmed in statements to the German news agency “dpa” the killing of the two people. The politician, who belongs to the Christian Democratic Party, said the suspect was between 30 and 35 years old.

The alleged perpetrator, a “Palestinian without citizenship”, was stopped at Bruxdet station, where the local train stopped, about sixty kilometers from Hamburg. Police said the motive behind the attack has not yet been determined. A spokesman for the nearby Itzihoe police said three of the injured were seriously injured.

“People at the scene were able to paralyze the suspect after the incident, until the police arrived at Brookside,” the police said in a statement. A large number of police cars and ambulances were deployed around the station, according to photos published by Bild newspaper.

And the “Deutsche Bahn” train operator announced that flights would be canceled on some main lines. A spokeswoman stated that the railway linking the cities of Flensburg and Hamburg, as well as the line between Kiel and Hamburg, were affected by the accident, and she explained that the line between Frist and Bruckstedt was closed at the present time.

-

The railway company “Deutsche Bahn” offered its condolences to the relatives of the victims and expressed its wishes for a speedy recovery for the injured.

--

A large number of police cars and ambulances were deployed around the station, according to photos published by Bild newspaper. Deutsche Bahn, the train operator, also announced that trips will be canceled on some main lines.

The German authorities have been on alert in recent years, especially since a truck attack in Berlin that killed 12 people in December 2016 was claimed by the “Islamic State” (ISIS). This terrorist attack is the deadliest ever on German soil.

Germany also faces a threat from the far right, and several deadly attacks in recent years have targeted immigrants and places of worship.

A.A.J/ A.H (DBA, AFP)

-

--

NEXT Days before Blinken’s visit.. Beijing calls for “common ground” with Washington