Our readers are Instagram users
You can now follow the latest news for free through our Instagram account
Click here to subscribe
Do you use gas as a means of heating in the winter? If the answer is yes, pay attention! Carbon monoxide is poisonous, and it is odorless and colorless. Because the toxic fumes are impossible to see, taste or smell, they can kill the person exposed before they realize they are leaking into the home.
Symptoms of infection:
The effects of exposure to carbon monoxide gas vary between people, depending on the age of the infected person, his health condition, and the duration of his exposure to the gas. When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it replaces oxygen in the bloodstream. Its symptoms vary from person to person. The most vulnerable are children, the elderly, those with lung or heart disease, and smokers.
In this context, the American Medicine website and the Environmental Protection Agency list the symptoms that affect a person poisoned with carbon monoxide, as follows:--
breathing problems, chest pain, coma, convulsions, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, headache, low blood pressure, fast or abnormal heartbeat, shock, nausea, angina pectoris, visual impairment, decreased brain function.-
Gas leak prevention measures
The American Penn Medicine website stresses that a carbon monoxide detector must be placed near gas-burning appliances (such as a furnace or water heater).
The American Red Cross stresses that a carbon monoxide alarm should be installed in hallways near sleeping areas, avoid corners where the air does not circulate, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to test the alarm every month.
The US Environmental Protection Agency notes that it is important to ensure that combustion equipment is properly maintained and adjusted. Vehicle use must be handled carefully near buildings and in vocational programmes.
Ventilation must be repeated for the place where the person is in the event of using gas tools
Experts advise using an exhaust fan with ventilation over gas stoves.