Last updated 3 hours ago
US police have announced the “suicide” of the gunman suspected of shooting inside a dance studio near Los Angeles, California, killing 10 people.
The incident was described as one of the deadliest mass shootings in the US state of California.
Police named the gunman as Hou Kan Tran, 72 years old.
She told a news conference that the man shot himself dead inside a white van that had been surrounded by officers earlier in the day.
She confirmed that she was not looking for other suspects.
Investigators have not yet determined a motive for the attack, but they are investigating Tran’s mental and criminal history, according to police.
Police officers raided a white truck near the scene of the shooting, and its driver is suspected of being involved in the accident.
A gunman escaped after killing at least 10 people near Los Angeles, wounding 10 others, some critically.
California Governor Gavin Newsom described the shooting as a “horrific and cruel” act of gun violence and expressed sympathy for the victims.
The shooting took place in Monterey Park, which has a large Asian population, shortly after thousands of people gathered for a festival to celebrate the Chinese Lunar New Year.
The gunman opened fire on a crowded dance studio in the downtown area.
Police officer Andrew Meyer said officers arrived at the scene at 22:22 local time on Saturday (06:22 GMT Sunday), finding people “running from the scene screaming”.--
Police said the victims were treated inside the Star Ballroom Dance studio and in the car park outside.
Downtown Monterey Park, including West Garvey Street where the shooting took place, was decorated for the Lunar New Year celebration.
The celebration is one of the largest in California, drawing tens of thousands of people throughout the day.
Two days of festivities were planned, but officials canceled Sunday’s events after the shooting.
Police deployed a large number of personnel to the city – which is about seven miles (11 km) east of downtown Los Angeles – and much of the area near the dance studio was sealed off.
Police are investigating the possibility that the suspect entered another dance studio about 30 minutes after the attack.
Police said a person snatched the weapon he was carrying from the suspect at the Hambra dance studio. No one was injured at that site.
“We think there is an incident that may be related,” Luna said.
Chester Chong, president of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce in Los Angeles, told the BBC the attack stunned the community.
“This shouldn’t happen,” he said, adding that he was worried about his friend, the owner of the Star Ballroom Dance studio.
An eyewitness said that three people ran into his restaurant and told him to close the door as there was a man with a machine gun in the area.
A video clip circulating on social media showed police and firefighters rushing to an area on Garvey Street and treating victims.
The attack is one of the worst mass shootings in recent California history. The deadliest incident was in 1984, when a gunman killed 21 people at a McDonald’s branch in San Ysidro, near San Diego.
White House press secretary Karen Jean-Pierre said President Joe Biden, who has ordered the FBI to support local authorities, has been briefed.
Alhambra Mayor Sacha Rene Perez said the tragedy was “painful”.
“Residents should celebrate with family, friends and loved ones, without fear of armed violence,” she added.