Meghan Markle “wins” a lawsuit against a British tabloid

0
15


London – AFP

The Court of Appeal in London rejected, Thursday, the appeal submitted by the newspaper “Mail on Sunday” against a court decision convicting her of violating the privacy of Megan Markle, due to the publication of a letter sent by Prince Harry’s wife to her father, and the latter was quick to describe the ruling as a “victory”, considering that it allows Reshaping the tabloid industry.

“The most important thing is that we now have the courage to reshape the tabloid industry, which pushes people to be cruel, and takes advantage of the lies and pain they cause,” Markle said.

The Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), publisher of the Mail on Sunday, had appealed to the Court of Appeal in London, in a court ruling that concluded that the publication of Megan’s letter was an “unlawful abuse” and consequently a violation of her privacy. The appeal took the judge of the Court of First Instance to take his decision without trial.

On Thursday, the judge announced that the appeal had been dismissed. He added that “the appeals court upholds the judge’s ruling that it is reasonable for the Duchess to expect her privacy to be respected,” stressing that the content of the letter was “personal and private and did not have any legitimate interest in the public interest.”

In the letter Markle wrote in 2018, shortly after her marriage to Prince Harry, the 40-year-old former American actress asked her father, Thomas Markle, 77, to stop lying in the media about their broken relationship.

And the first-degree ruling on the “Mail on Sunday” obliged the British newspaper to publish the text of the decision regarding her judicial loss to Megan Markle on its front page, and stipulated that the newspaper’s publisher included the amount of 450,000 pounds (628,000 dollars) to be paid to the Duchess of Sussex instead of the costs of the lawsuit.

But the widely circulated newspaper said in its appeal, which was heard by the court in November, that “the letter was worded in a specific way that took into account the possibility of its publication.”

In support of her statement, the newspaper lit up during court hearings the testimony of Jason Knauf, the couple’s former liaison to the couple now residing in California.

Knauf stressed that the draft letter was drafted in a manner that takes into account the “possibility of its leakage.”

In written testimony, Megan refuted this claim, saying that she did not think her father could leak the message because it gives an image of him that is not in his interest. She explained that it was only a “possibility.” Knauf provided useful material for the newspaper, which seeks to prove Meghan Markle’s constant keenness to sway public opinion, by saying that he provided on behalf of Meghan and Harry private information to the authors of the unofficial biography of the royal couple “Finding Freedom”.

According to him, the book project was “routinely and directly discussed with the Duchess, in person, and by email”. Markle acknowledged the latter information and apologized for initially misleading the court by not making it clear.

But she said the information shared with the authors was “a far cry from the highly detailed personal information” published by the Mail on Sunday.

Prince Harry, 37, the sixth in line to the British throne, has repeatedly denounced the pressure exerted by the media on the duo, citing this as one of the main reasons for his withdrawal from the royal family since April 2020.





LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here