US Navy removes captains of submarine damaged in China Sea accident

0
40


T + NS – normal size

The US Navy announced in a statement Thursday that it has relieved the three officers who were in command of a nuclear submarine that was damaged last month after colliding with a hill in the China Sea, from their duties.

Admiral Carl Thomas, commander of the Seventh Fleet, relieved of their duties Captain Cameron Al-Jilani, commander of the nuclear-powered submarine “USS Connecticut” and the “Sea Wolf” class, Captain Patrick Kachin, second-in-command of the submarine, and Officer Corey Rodgers, who is the highest-ranking aboard the submarine. .

The statement said that Admiral Thomas “decided that common sense in wise decisions and respect for procedures would have allowed the accident to be avoided,” stressing that the three commanders of the submarine “lost the confidence of the US Navy.”

The submarine collided with an unidentified object on October 2 while it was at sea in the South China Sea. And 11 sailors were injured in the accident.

The investigation proved that it collided with a sea hill that was not visible on the maps.

And she was forced to return to the surface of the water, but it was seaworthy and she managed to reach the island of Guam, the American land in the Pacific Ocean.

The Navy statement said that the submarine is still in Guam and will return to its home port in Bremerton, Washington state (northwest of the United States) for repair.

The US Navy did not reveal the exact location of the accident, nor the depth at which the submarine was sailing when it occurred.

China claims nearly all of the South China Sea and has set up military posts in it on small islands, while the United States and its allies regularly patrol the region’s international waters to assert their right to freedom of navigation.

Print
Email








LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here