T + NS – normal size
The Quba Mosque in Medina is the first mosque in Islam. The Messenger – may God bless him and grant him peace – founded it and drew it with his own hand when he arrived in Medina, migrating to it from Mecca, and participated in laying its first stones, then the Companions completed it – may God be pleased with them.
The Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, used to go to the Quba Mosque from time to time to pray in it, and he often chose Saturdays and urged him to visit it, and many honorable prophetic hadiths were mentioned in the merits of the mosque, including: prayer, he will have the reward of Umrah).
Muslims have pledged care and attention to the Quba Mosque since its establishment due to its position, as it is one of the largest mosques in Medina after the Prophet’s Mosque. All prayers, Friday prayers and the two Eids are held there.
The mosque was renovated during the reign of Caliph Othman bin Affan – may God be pleased with him – and then Omar bin Abdul Aziz, who made for him a courtyard, corridors and a minaret, which is the first minaret to be built in it. In the year 671, 733, 840 and 881 AH, and during the era of the Ottoman Empire, it was renewed several times, the last of which was during the time of Sultan Abdul Majeed, according to the Saudi Press Agency, SPA.
During the Saudi era, the Quba Mosque received great care. It was renovated and its outer walls were renovated, and its outer walls were added to it from the northern side in 1388 AH. In 1405 AH, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Fahd bin Abdulaziz Al Saud – may God have mercy on him – ordered to rebuild it and double its area several times while preserving its heritage features. Strictly, the old building was demolished and plots of neighboring land on its four sides were added to the new building, and the expansion was extended and rebuilt with the same old design, and made it four minarets instead of its only old minaret, each minaret on one side and 47 meters high, and the mosque was built in the form of a southern portico and another On the north, separated by an open courtyard, and the two porticos are connected to the east and west by two long porticos. Its surface consists of a group of connected domes, including 6 large domes, each 12 meters in diameter, and 56 small domes, each 6 meters in diameter. The domes rest on arches standing on huge columns inside each A portico, and the mosque’s grounds and courtyard were covered with heat-reflecting marble, and the courtyard was shaded by a mechanical canopy made of fiberglass that folds and spreads as needed.
The area of the prayer hall alone reached 5,035 square meters, and the area occupied by the mosque building with its service facilities was 13,500 square metres, while its area before this expansion was only 1,600 square meters. The mosque was also attached to a library and a marketing area to serve visitors.