NASA launches a spacecraft on a mission to change the course of “asteroids”

0
19


date of publication:
November 24, 2021 7:35 GMT

Update date: November 24, 2021 7:45 GMT

A spacecraft launched on Wednesday night from California on a mission implemented by the US Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to demonstrate the world’s first planetary defense system aimed at changing the course of any asteroid on its way to a potentially devastating collision with Earth, Reuters reported today, Wednesday.

The spacecraft, which NASA called “DART”, launched at 10:21 Pacific time, Wednesday night, from Vandenberg Air Force Base, about 240 kilometers northwest of Los Angeles, on board a Falcon 9 rocket. For SpaceX.

The launch was broadcast live on NASA TV.

And the Vice President of NASA, Thomas Zurbuchen, announced that “all asteroids known to experts at the present time, none of them will collide with the planet within the next 100 years.”

And Thomas Zurbuchenen pointed out that “NASA plans to launch the DART space probe to the asteroid Dimorph to collide with it in order to test the technology to protect Earth from asteroids in the future.”

“Rest assured, this asteroid now and in the future does not threaten the Earth, just as all the currently known asteroids do not threaten to collide with the Earth during the next hundred years or so,” he says.

He warns, “Scientists know only 40% of space objects that are larger than 140 meters in size… and we have to search for the remaining 60%.”

“NASA” hopes that the “Falcon” transport rocket will collide with the asteroid Dimorph in September or October during the next year 2022.

And for the first time, next fall, a spacecraft will try to collide with an asteroid, as an experiment to show how such a space body can be deflected if it is heading towards Earth, the Director of Planetary Sciences at NASA, Laurie Glees, revealed last Sunday.

“I feel that once this test is done, we will have a lot of information, and we will be more prepared in the future to deal with dangerous asteroids,” said Laurie Gleese.

NASA hopes that this $330 million mission will provide insights into how to protect Earth from the possibility of a dangerous collision.

It is scheduled to launch the European Space Agency “HERA” mission in 2024 to study the details of the “asteroid impact” process with the aim of saving the planet from any similar possibility.





LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here