Google reduces commission charged to app publishers on Play Store

0
20


Google announced a cut in the commission imposed on app publishers, in light of the growing pressure from the regulatory authorities to compete with the giant American group that dominates the mobile Internet market with its rival Apple.

Under the new procedure, developers of subscription-based applications will only pay 15% of their total revenue to Google’s account, after they had to wait until the second year to reduce the percentage to 15% instead of the 30% generally approved in this market.

“The lack of renewal from one year to the next makes it difficult for subscription-based applications to benefit from this reduction in the percentage” of the commission, said Vice President of the Android operating system, Samir Samat, in a statement.

The rate charged for on-demand e-books and music services will also be reduced to 10%.

The vast majority of smartphones in the world run Android operating systems from Google and iOS from Apple.

The two American giants constantly stress that the commission they charge for paid apps, which are in the minority in the market, ensures that the platforms function properly, the protection of private data and the security of payment systems.

However, many publishers are protesting against these commissions because of lost profits, while the authorities accuse them of exploiting their dominant position in the market.

(AFP)





LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here