Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati said on Monday that the suspension of the investigation into the Beirut port explosion last year was a “judicial order”, but added that he hoped the main investigative judge would not be removed.
“We will not be able to tolerate a second judge to step down” from the Beirut explosion case, Mikati said in an interview with the Lebanese TV channel LBC.
An investigation into the Beirut port explosion was halted today, Monday, for the second time this year, when a former minister wanted for interrogation filed a case against the chief investigator in the case.
The investigation was suspended until the Court of Cassation decided whether to accept or reject the case.
The Lebanese Prime Minister added that the financial recovery plan, which will be presented by his government, will include a fair distribution of losses and will protect the rights of small depositors.
Mikati formed his government earlier this month after a year of political stalemate.
Lebanon is going through a financial crisis that has made its local currency lose more than 90% of its value.