Swiss Roger Federer has decided to withdraw from the Roland Garros Tennis Championships, organizers announced Sunday. He attributed this withdrawal to his health conditions. "It's important that I listen to my body and not go too fast to get back into the game," said 2009 Roland Garros champion after two knee surgeries. Two weeks before his celebration of his fortieth birthday, Federer succeeded in ensuring his participation in the second week of the French championship for the fifteenth time in his career, and he was supposed to face the Italian Matteo Berrettini on Monday in the final price. </p><div> <p>Roger Federer withdrew from<strong><a target="_blank" href="https://www.france24.com/ar/رياضة/20210605-ملك-الملاعب-الترابية-نادال-إلى-ثمن-نهائي-بطولة-رولان-غاروس-لكرة-المضرب" rel="noopener"> French Open Tennis Championships</a></strong> On the eve of his semi-final match against Italian Matteo Berrettini, organizers announced on Sunday.
Federer said: “After discussion with my team, I have decided to withdraw from Roland Garros. After two knee surgeries and more than a year of rehabilitation, it is important that I listen to my body and not go too quickly back into the competition. I’m happy to win three games. There is no feeling Better than returning to the court,” the organizers quoted the Swiss tennis player as saying.
Two weeks before his celebration of his fortieth birthday, Federer managed to secure his participation in the second week of the French championship for the fifteenth time in his career, by beating German Dominique Kipfer 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 ( 7-4) and 7-5.
The 2009 Roland Garros champion, seeking his first Grand Slam title since his victory in the 2018 Australian Open, needed three hours and 35 minutes to overcome his German opponent, ranked 59th in the world, at the Philippe Chartier stadium in the absence of the audience due to the curfew imposed in the French capital between nine o’clock. evening and six in the morning.
Federer, who underwent two knee surgeries last year and is making only his third appearance since the Australian Open in early 2020, was supposed to meet Berrettini on Monday in the final price.
Commenting on the withdrawal, Tournament Director Guy Forget said: “Roland Garros regrets the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who had a great fight last night. We were all delighted to have him back in Paris where he played three high-profile matches. We wish him well for the rest of the season.”
Federer has repeatedly stated that his priority this year is to try to win Wimbledon for the first time since 2017 and the ninth of his legendary career.
The English championship begins on June 28, which gives Federer a little time to prepare for it if he continues his career at Roland Garros, especially since his name is listed to participate in the Halle tournament, which is also held on the grass, which is scheduled to start on June 14, any day after Only from the Roland Garros final.