Posted in: Last updated:
The Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah announced on Saturday that the Hajj rituals in Makkah Al-Mukarramah next month will be limited to 60,000 residents of the Kingdom vaccinated against the Corona virus, in a decision that came against the background of the continuing outbreak of the pandemic.
The ministry said that the ages of the pilgrims should range between 18 and 65 years, and that the applicants to perform the annual rituals should not have chronic diseases, according to a statement published by the state news agency.
The Ministry of Hajj said in its statement that “the total number of pilgrims (…) is 60,000 pilgrims for residents of all nationalities and citizens in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”
Last year, about 10 thousand residents participated in the Hajj, compared to about 2.5 million Muslims in 2019, in an unprecedented season in terms of the nature of the organization and the number, which was overshadowed by the specter of the Corona virus, which continues to spread around the world, claiming millions of lives.
This is the second year in a row that hundreds of thousands of Muslims around the world have been prevented from performing these annual rituals due to the pandemic.
© 2021 AFP