Russian second seed Daniil Medvedev will face Greek fifth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas in the quarter-finals of the French Open, the second Grand Slam in tennis, with the first victory over Chilean Christian Garin 6-2, 6-1, 7-5, and the second at the expense of the Spaniard. Pablo Carreno Busta 6-3, 6-2, 7-5.
The tournament was also dominated by the Swiss Roger Federer’s announcement of his withdrawal from the tournament, on the eve of his expected match in the final price against Italian Matteo Berrettini.
In the first match, after two easy first sets, the match in the third set was between Medvedev (25 years) and Garin.
But after a 5-5 tie in the sets, Medvedev managed to hit two wonderful strikes to snatch the serve from the Chilean and end the match in his favour.
“I told myself I had to go crazy,” the Russian said after the match, in French.
Against Tsitsipas, who lost six times in seven matches to Medvedev, the latter expected a “very good match” between two players who deserved their place at this stage of the tournament.
“The second and fifth seed, we’ve faced each other in the Australian quarter-finals,” said Medvedev, who reached the final in Melbourne.
He added, “I hope the French fans will be on my side, and people will say to themselves ‘He speaks French, he’s nice, come on!’.” Then the fans began to chant his name at the stadium, and he replied, “Tuesday, please, Tuesday!”.
The Russian, who has not won a match at Roland Garros before this year, will meet Tsitsipas, who previously reached the semi-finals of the tournament in 2020.
Tsitsipas easily overcame clay-court specialist Carino, to achieve his 37th victory this season, 20 of them on clay, more than any other player since the beginning of the year.
“Everything went really well for me today,” Tsitsipas said after the match. “I felt good on the field, the strategy I adopted paid off, my serve was good. Matches with the likes of Pablo help me get the best out of me.”
Tsitsipas had previously won the titles in Monte Carlo and Lyon this year, and thus confirms himself as a strong candidate in this track of the championship, as he meets him in the second track, Spain’s Rafael Nadal and Serbian Novak Djokovic, and Federer was with them before he announced his withdrawal on Sunday afternoon.
– Federer withdraws –
The Swiss, who was trying to recover after two knee surgeries that kept him out of the competition in 2020, announced his withdrawal from the tournament on the eve of his match in the final price against Italian Matteo Berrettini, according to organizers.
photo1″After discussion with my team, I decided to withdraw from Roland Garros,” Federer was quoted as saying by the organizers. “After two knee surgeries and more than a year of rehabilitation, it is important that I listen to my body and not go too quickly back into the competition. I’m happy to win three matches. Not There is a better feeling of being back on the field.”
Two weeks before his celebration of his fortieth birthday, Federer managed to secure his participation in the second week of the French championship for the fifteenth time in his career, with a hard victory over German Dominique Kuipfer 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 ( 7-4) and 7-5.
The 2009 Roland Garros champion, who is seeking his first Grand Slam title since his coronation in the Australian Open in 2018, needed three hours and 35 minutes to overcome his German opponent, ranked 59th in the world, at the “Philippe Chartier” stadium, in the absence of the audience due to the curfew imposed in the French capital between nine o’clock. evening and six in the morning.
Federer, who underwent two knee surgeries last year and is making only his third appearance since the Australian Open in early 2020, was supposed to meet Berrettini on Monday in the final price.
But the record holder for the number of Grand Slam titles shared with his Spanish rival, Rafael Nadal (20) hinted on Saturday evening that he could withdraw from this confrontation with the 25-year-old Italian, who reached the final of the Madrid 1,000-point Masters tournament last month.
“I don’t know if I will play,” Federer said. “I have to decide whether or not to play (at Roland Garros). Isn’t it too risky to put my knee under more pressure? Is it the time to rest?”
Shortly after the withdrawal, Tournament Director Guy Forget said: “Roland Garros regrets the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who had a great fight last night. We were all delighted to have him back in Paris where he played three high-level matches. We wish him well for the rest of the season.”
Federer has repeatedly stated that his priority this year is to try to win Wimbledon for the first time since 2017 and the ninth of his legendary career.
– Zidanchik makes history –
For her part, Tamara Zidanchik entered history on Sunday by becoming the first Slovenian to reach the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam tournament, by defeating Romanian Sorana Cristea 7-6 (7-4) 6-1 in the fourth round.
The 23-year-old, ranked 85th in the world, has never gone further than the second round in any of the four Grand Slams, but she achieved the feat at Roland Garros, hoping to continue her surprises.
Zidanchik will meet in the quarter-finals of Spain’s Paula Padusa, who also reaches this stage for the first time, by defeating Czech Marketa Vondrosova, runner-up in 2019 in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.
“For me, the key was to start really believing that I could beat the elite players. To believe that I was better than them and that I belonged among them,” said the Slovenian, who started her current career at Roland Garros with a surprise after eliminating seventh-seeded Canadian Bianca Andreescu and Flushing Meadows champion.
Before she eliminated Andreescu in the first round, Zidancic had never beaten one of the women’s top ten players in the WTA rankings.
After the Australian top-seeded Ashleigh Barty and Japan’s Naomi Osaka withdrew, and Arina Sabalenka of Belarus, who lost in the third round, the possibility of the French championship witnessing a surprise crowning of the women’s title increased.
Padusa, 23, may be the surprise, as the former champion of Roland Garros in the women’s category is considered the best performer on dirt courts this season, with 17 wins against only two defeats in a series that included her victory in the Belgrade tournament on the eve of the French championship.
The 31st Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova ended the 15th attempt of Belarusian Victoria Azarenka to reach the quarter-finals of Roland Garros for the first time since 2013, by defeating the Australian Open champion in 2012 and 2013 5-7 6-3 6-2.
In her second quarter-final at Roland Garros, after 2011, and the seventh in the Grand Slam, Pavlyuchenkova will meet seventh-seeded American Serena Williams, who is looking for her 24th title in the Grand Slam or the 21st Kazakh Elena Rybakina.
© 2021 AFP