After appearing as Khawaja Hristo in the movie “The Money”, the great Lebanese artist Camille Salameh appeared as the Palestinian “Gibran”, who lives in Europe, and is in contact with the Egyptian intelligence agent Hend Sabry, during the series “Counter Attack”, which was shown in Ramadan, and presents his show The second is currently. “Kamil” spoke about his participation in artistic works in Egypt, and about Arab participation in artistic works, which he saw as a necessity to raise their level, and not to limit works to the people of one country with the spread of digital platforms and social networking sites, as he revealed his new experience, the series “Years of Love and War.” , which is being filmed in Egypt, Lebanon and Syria, and the reasons for his absence for 7 years from the theater in Lebanon.. To the text of the dialogue:
The artist Camille Salama in a scene from the movie “The Money”
■ She recently participated in the series “Rebound Attack” as a guest of honor.. How did you see that experience?
– When the script is convincing, the director is creative, and the actors are stars, no experience can but be enjoyable, influential and add to the experience of the participants in it richness and depth, and this is what the experience of participating in the series “Counter Attack” left in my soul and heart.
■ How did that participation come… And what about cooperation with Ahmed Ezz and Hend Sabry and the series’ makers?
Gibran’s personal scenes were filmed in two days in February 2019, and I had the opportunity to get to know director Ahmed Alaa El-Deeb, artist Hend Sabry and the production and photography team, and truth be told, I only felt professionalism, mutual respect and a decent reception, as if I had known everyone for a long time, The scenes, as well as the work, were an opportunity to document acquaintance and exchange experiences, even if quickly, as a result of the pressure of work and the short duration, in the hope of renewing cooperation, and all my viewers were with Hend Sabry, with whom cooperation was an example of professionalism and respect. Hoping to cooperate in future work.
■ How do you see the importance of this type of work that deals with championships and is inspired by intelligence facts?
– Any artistic work occupied with accuracy, passion and care will provide the conditions for success, whatever the topics are, and of course this type of work adds to the mind and imagination of the viewer exciting situations that require action and adventure scenes, besides that it opens before his eyes facts that affected his diaries without his knowledge and revealed To him how watchful eyes were protecting him while he was preoccupied with his ordinary life.
■ Did you feel that the series contributed to shedding light on the years before the Arab Spring and the foreign conspiracies that the Arab countries are witnessing?
Indeed, the sequence of events during the episodes makes them intertwine in front of the viewer to deduce from them explanations of events and situations that he was living with results without realizing their causes, and the good dramatic construction in the series made the viewer follow as if he builds pieces of a large puzzle that the scenario and directing gather to complete its image as the episodes pass.
■ Did you have any special preparations to introduce the character of Gibran?
Camille Salama with the heroes of the movie “Case No. 23”
– Any character presented to the actor requires him to read the entire series to see the extent of this character’s action in the events, and then moves to the perception of the character in its form, psychology, and its relationship with other characters. She studies meticulously, and this was not difficult for me because this dialect accompanied me in many stages of my life through some family and acquaintances.
■ What is the most difficult scene for you in the series… Was there a special preparation for the scene of Hind Sabry being slapped during the events?
– There is no easy scene, as when the actor makes any scene easy, even if he is silent, he contributes to his failure. The difficulty is for the actor to consider that he is fully responsible for himself and for the success of the actor who shares the scene, as for the slap scene, I was not present during its filming, but I watched it during a show serial.
■ What about the reactions you received about Gibran?
– Participation in and of itself in a series of this importance and in Egypt had a very positive impact among lovers and friends, and in terms of artistic reactions, articles were issued in Lebanon praising the series and my performance of the “Gibran” character.
■ Don’t you see that your participation in the Egyptian drama has been delayed a lot since you participated in the movie “The Money” with Tamer Hosni as Khawaja Khristo?
– “To come late is better than never.” Thus the saying goes, I believe that what is happening now was destined to happen now, and I hope that cooperation and participation will continue based on the experiences that have taken place. It is true that the movie “The Money” was a promising beginning that opened for me The door to participate in the Egyptian drama, and it seems that the door will not be closed, but will expand more and more, God willing.
■ Do you think that Arab cooperation between artists and business makers has become more extensive in the recent period?
Of course, thanks to the great spread of social media and digital platforms, it is no longer enough to limit business to the people of one country, so we see joint works and huge productions that bring together many artists, writers and directors from different Arab countries, and this is what develops experiences and raises the level of business, and all this is in the interest of The viewer who has become a requirement thanks to his knowledge of what is happening all over the world.
■ How did you see the presence and production of Arab businesses through digital platforms?
I have previously mentioned the importance of these platforms, which opened the way to receive many Arab works, as they do not limit the timing of a specific show, as they accommodate a large number of works and open the way for many drama makers to participate in the consolidation of artistic concepts of an intellectual, production and executive level that allow the viewer to choose the best.
■ How did you see the elapsed Ramadan season, whether in Egypt or Lebanon?
Of course, one cannot watch everything that is presented in the Ramadan season, as he may choose two or three works to follow them directly, then wait for reactions and opinions to follow through the Internet what he missed, and the past season was full and varied, but I hope that the great productions are not limited to this Holy month.
■ The Lebanese drama, despite the political situation in Lebanon, has presented distinguished works that won the praise of critics, such as “2020” and “For Death” .. How did you see that?
Indeed, the aforementioned two series had a great distinction, both at the level of critics and at the level of the audience, and they proved that when production provides favorable and comfortable conditions for drama makers, such as writers, directors, actors and technicians, talents are available and available to reap impressive results.
■ What is the message that Camille Salameh carries for Lebanon in light of what it is witnessing? Whether citizens or politicians?
I am neither a fan of messages nor one of those who give advice, my concern is for a person, whatever his responsibilities or circumstances, to be convinced that he is giving the best he can in his field of work, man for the sake of man, and God protects all countries and servants.
■ Did you follow other works during the past season… and which ones did you like?
Although in the blessed month of Ramadan many series are presented, the idea of “race” may darken some works and some artists, let’s say that there are series that advertising campaigns serve more than others and attract a larger number of viewers, but this does not mean that they are the best Fortunately, the presence of platforms and websites now gives an opportunity for anyone who did not watch a particular series during the month of Ramadan to watch this series later, and for myself, my time during Ramadan allowed me to follow the “counter-attack” and “Newton’s game” in Egypt… and “Twenty Twenty” and “For Death” are Lebanese.. I also followed the Syrian series “An Unknown Restriction”, and because I liked these series I followed them and did not move to others during that period.
■ Which took you more…acting or directing and writing? And which one did you find yourself in?
– I am an actor first and foremost.. In the theater I wrote and directed, as I wrote for television, and if I did not find myself in any of them, I would not follow it. As for what takes me more, it is what I do at the same moment. And I dedicate myself to this aspect.
■ Do you feel that you have done what the technical work asks of you and did your message with it after all these years and giving?
No, of course not.. Whoever feels that he has done everything, it will end, and as long as God grants me health, vitality, and the desire to give and learn, I will try to follow the path.
■ You moved away from the theater that witnessed your launch for a period of 7 years .. How were the years of absence? And why?
– Absence from the theater was not optional, but rather due to work conditions. During the years you mentioned, I traveled to implement programs abroad and participated in 3 feature films, and since theater requires time and effort to write scripts, exercises, and then performances, I did not want to distribute my time on more than one level. To be able to master what I’m about.
■ Is there a new cooperation in Egypt to participate in another series?
I am now playing a role in an Arabic series that is being filmed between Egypt, Lebanon and Syria, and when we finish it, I look forward to more than one new cooperation in Egypt.
■ Which of the Egyptian stars would you like to collaborate with? Who do you like from the young and old generation?
It is natural that I do not enter the name game, but good work, any work, will attract me to it and motivate me to cooperate and participate, and it is obvious that Egypt has presented generations of artists and is now presenting talented youth who have refined their talent with experience and study, so cooperation with them will be based on professionalism and mutual respect. Young or old.
■ Camille Salama’s career is linked to successes, participation in important work and achieving great reactions, including “Case 23″… What about your next steps?
– Of course, “Case No. 23” was an important milestone in my professional life, as it led us to the nomination for the Oscars, and I am now participating in the series “Sunna Al Hob and War,” which is being filmed in Egypt, Lebanon and Syria. What it brings to the future of offers and projects.