The fate of the Copa America was in jeopardy days before its launch, with the Brazilian Supreme Court entering the line after announcing the holding of hearings on two requests submitted to it to prevent the tournament from being held in the country.
The Confederation of African Football, “CONMEBOL”, is struggling to hold the continental championship, which was originally postponed from last summer due to the repercussions of the Corona virus.
The tournament, which includes 10 teams, is scheduled to start next Sunday and continue until the tenth of July, knowing that it was originally scheduled in Colombia and Argentina, but the first was excluded due to violent anti-government protests, and the second due to the outbreak of the Corona virus.
With the opening match approaching, Brazil stepped in last week to rescue the tournament after CONMEBOL knocked Argentina out of the hospitality accounts.
But Brazil is also suffering from “Covid-19”, and experts warn that it is facing a new boom that a major international sports tournament may exacerbate.
It now appears that holding the tournament in Brazil is not a given after the Supreme Court entered the line to discuss the possibility of preventing its holding in the country.
Chief Justice Louise Fox said on Tuesday that given the “exceptional nature of the case”, the decision was made that the 11-member court will hear the case in an extraordinary virtual session on Thursday.
A few hours later, the Brazilian players came out with a joint statement after their sixth consecutive victory in the South American qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup at the expense of their host Paraguay 2-0, in which they said, “We are against organizing the Copa America, but we will never say no to the Brazilian national team.”