US media reported that US President Joe Biden will announce that US forces will leave Afghanistan by September 11th.
The Trump administration struck an agreement last year with the Taliban to withdraw troops in May, but Biden said he believed it would be difficult to stick to this deadline.
The date of the new withdrawal will coincide with the 20th anniversary of the attacks of September 11, 2001.
US and NATO officials said the Taliban had so far failed to fulfill their obligations to reduce violence.
A senior US administration official told reporters that the Taliban had received a warning that any attack on US forces during the withdrawal period “will be met with a strong response.”
The official added that Biden had made a decision that the option of rapid withdrawal, which puts the lives of American forces at risk, was not feasible.
Biden is expected to announce the withdrawal decision on Wednesday.
The Taliban announced Tuesday that it will not participate in a summit on the future of Afghanistan, which is supposed to be held at the end of this month in Turkey, until all foreign forces withdraw from the country.
A spokesman for the movement, Muhammad Naim, tweeted from his place of residence in Qatar, saying: “Until the withdrawal of all foreign forces from our homeland, we will not participate in any conference in which decisions may be taken on Afghanistan.”
It is expected that the US defense and foreign ministers will put the NATO allies in the atmosphere of the US decision on Wednesday in the Belgian capital, Brussels.
The United States has spent trillions of dollars and lost more than 2,000 people since the outbreak of the war in 2001.
The agreement signed in February last year stated that the United States and NATO must withdraw all forces within 14 months, in case the Taliban committed to their promises, including not to allow Al Qaeda or other militias to carry out operations in the areas that Falls under its control, and for the movement to move forward with internal peace talks.
The Taliban had stipulated, before the start of the negotiations, the release of thousands of their detained men in a prisoner exchange.
And direct negotiations between the two parties began in the Qatari capital, Doha, in September last year, but without reaching an agreement.
Although the movement has stopped attacking international forces as part of the historic agreement, it is still effectively at war with the Afghan government.
Last month, the Taliban threatened to resume attacks on foreign forces still inside the country on May 1.
And there are fears that the movement will seize power if the foreign forces withdraw before reaching a permanent agreement.
The United States has 2,500 troops in Afghanistan, as part of the NATO mission, which includes 9,600 soldiers.