One study revealed that 27% of users have had their phones damaged either with water or any other type of liquid, and many of them initiate immersion of the phone with rice grains to help fix the problem, but unfortunately to no avail, according to Al Jazeera Net.
In a report published by Sciencealert, Ritesh Chug, senior lecturer in the Department of Information Systems and Analysis at CQUniversity in Australia, said that penetration of a liquid into a smartphone can affect it in several ways, and it may lead to many problems, the most important of which are The device is completely damaged.
Other problems that can occur is the appearance of blurry images if moisture is trapped in the camera lens, or there is no sound, and maybe the inability to charge, and it can cause rust in the internal parts.
* Waterproof phones!
While the new phones are advertised as “water resistant”, this does not mean that they are really so or completely immune to water, and the water resistance means that the device can deal with some cases of exposure to water before major damage occurs.
Samsung has long been criticized for claiming that its phones are waterproof. In 2019, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) referred Samsung to federal court, claiming that false and misleading advertisements led customers to believe that their Galaxy phones would be suitable for use in or exposure to all types of water, including – on Example- oceans and swimming pools.
Samsung Australia subsequently rejected warranty claims from customers for damage to the phones due to falling into or exposure to liquid. Likewise, Apple was fined last year 10 million euros by the Italian Antitrust Authority for “misleading claims” about its phones’ water resistance and failure to cover liquid damage under warranty.
** Here is the correct way to fix your phone if it falls into water:
* Don’t put your phone in a bowl of rice, it’s just a myth. Instead, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the device immediately and do not press any button.
2. If your phone is water-resistant and you submerge it in a liquid other than water, Apple and Samsung recommend rinsing it with clean, stagnant water, but not under running tap water, as it may damage it.
3. Wipe the phone dry using paper towels or a soft cloth.
4. Gently shake the device to remove water from the charging ports, but avoid vigorous shaking as this may lead to further spread of liquid inside.
5. Remove the phone card.
6. Use a compressed air duster to flush the water out if you have one, and avoid using a hot hair dryer because the heat can destroy the rubber seals and damage the screen.
7. Dry the phone (especially the ports) in front of the fan.
8. Leave the phone in an airtight box filled with silica gel (those little packets you find inside new shoes and bags), or another drying agent, as they help absorb moisture.
9. Do not charge the phone until you are sure that it is dry. Charging a device with liquid in it or in the outlets can cause more damage. And Apple suggests waiting at least 5 hours, as soon as the phone appears dry before charging it or until the alarm disappears.
** What about cleaning the phone in general to remove microbes and germs?
Technology experts and specialists believe, according to a previous report on Al-Jazeera Net, that the best way to clean a smartphone is to use a soft, lint-free and slightly damp cloth, and in the event of severe dirt, the user can use a little water and soap when cleaning the smartphone.
One of the important things that must be taken into account when cleaning the smartphone is that moisture does not reach the smartphone openings, and although many smartphones are water resistant, Kloss advises that you should wipe them immediately with a dry cloth after cleaning them.
There are warnings that other cleaners may damage the smartphone, such as glass cleaners, as the touch screens include an oil-repellent layer, to prevent the appearance of fingerprints, and the German expert Kloss warned that cleaning the screen with alcohol-based cleaners removes the grease repellant layer. gradually.
The connection ports with smartphones are very sensitive parts, so the user must be careful and careful when cleaning them without using any wet means, and here you can use cotton swabs or a soft toothbrush.