Coutinho was injured at the end of last year and underwent an operation due to which he was supposed to be absent for 3 months.
“On Monday, a successful operation was performed on the left knee of the player Coutinho,” Barcelona said in a statement.
“The operation was performed by Dr. Rodrigo Lasmar, under the supervision of Barcelona club doctors,” the statement added.
“The length of a player’s absence depends on the pace of his recovery,” the statement concluded.
Spanish reports indicated that the Brazilian international will be absent for about 4 weeks.
The newspaper Mundo Deportivo reported in February that Coutinho was suffering from a swollen left knee despite undergoing surgery on January 2.
The report stated that Coutinho’s condition, less than two months after undergoing surgery, will likely make him take longer before returning to the stadiums.
When Coutinho underwent the surgery, Barcelona said in a brief statement: “The Brazilian international will be absent for 3 months due to an injury to the outer cartilage of the left knee.”
The former Liverpool player has appeared in 14 matches for Barcelona this season, scoring 3 goals and making 2 assists.
Coutinho returned to Barcelona after playing last season on loan with Bayern Munich during his highly successful season, winning three titles with Bavarian.
With Bayern Munich, he won the Champions League, which the Bavarian added to the League and German Cup titles.
Coutinho participated in 38 matches with the Bavarian team during the 2019-2020 season, scoring 11 goals and making 6.