Australian health officials announced today, Saturday, the death of a 48-year-old woman in New South Wales “suspected of being linked” to the AstraZeneca Coronavirus vaccine, despite the “complexity” of the circumstances that led to the death.
And Bloomberg News reported that Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt expressed his condolences to the family of the woman, whose death is the third case in the country resulting from a blood clot linked to AstraZeneca.
The woman had taken the vaccination before the government announced on the eighth of this month its recommendation to give the Pfizer / Biontech vaccine to those under 50 years old.
The minister said in a press conference today that “vaccines are highly safe, recommended and effective,” noting that they are subject to permanent review by the team responsible for following up the vaccination operations.
A completely atypical case
For his part, Professor John Skritt, from the Department of Medicinal Commodities, said that the balance of risks still clearly favors vaccines because the deceased “represents a completely atypical case, and the case is still subject to further examination.”
He added that the prevalence of complications associated with taking the AstraZeneca vaccine in Australia is approximately one case in every 300,000 cases, similar to the rare cases that occurred in the United Kingdom. The Australian government is facing constant criticism for its delay in launching vaccines, which has relied heavily on the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Vaccinate as many as possible
Earlier this week, Australian Prime Minister Scott Marrison refused to set a new date for completing the delivery of the first dose of the vaccine to all citizens, in light of the difficulty of achieving this goal in the deadline set by the end of the year.
And the last census showed that the number of people who received the vaccine exceeded 1.4 million people, of whom 885 thousand received the AstraZeneca vaccine, according to the statements of the Australian Minister of Health. Hunt announced that “the last quarter of the year will see a push” to vaccinate as many people as possible with the available Pfizer / Biontech doses “for those people who will not be able to receive the AstraZeneca vaccine due to the age factor.”