After studying for 20 years, the Earth receives more than 5,000 tons of dust annually

0
12


Talk of dust coming from outside our planet has been the subject of continuous scientific debate and debate since 1891

A new scientific study found that about 5 thousand tons of dust coming from outside our planet fall to Earth annually, either from asteroids or comets that occasionally pass near the Earth.

The researchers, who wrote the 20-year study from the Center National de Recherches Scientifique in France, from the Université Paris – Saclay, and from the Muséum national d-histoire naturelle, indicated that much of this dust does not reach To the surface of our planet, but it turns into the atmosphere into meteors.

According to this studying Published April 15th in Earth and Planetary Science Letters today, these grains of dust range in size between 30 and 200 micrometers, and they have always fallen on our planet.

The monitoring and collection of dust from the Concordia base in Antarctica has continued for more than 20 years (National Center for Scientific Research)

Antarctic sample collection

And as stated in Press release Issued by the French National Institute for Scientific Research, the scientific research team supervised by the researcher John Dupra has, for the past 20 years, collected samples of this dust at the level of the scientific base in Antarctica “Concordia”, which was established in 1997 in cooperation between France and Italy.

This base was chosen to collect samples, considering that the area covered by a thin layer of snow is completely devoid of dust from planet Earth.

The statement added that the researchers collected a certain amount of this dust in certain areas and by calculating the area of ​​the planet, and they reached that our planet receives about 5200 tons of this dust every year, which is a very large number compared to the weight of meteorites that fall on the earth every year, which was estimated at about 10 tons. annually.

According to scientists’ estimates, 80% of the volume of this dust comes from comets, and the rest, 20%, is from asteroids.

80% of the dust comes from comets and the rest from asteroids (Al Jazeera)

First outdoor dust count

In the introduction to the study, the researchers said that the discussion of dust coming from outside our planet has been the subject of ongoing debate and debate since 1891, the year in which scientists John Murray and Alfonso Runard raised the issue in their scientific report on the Challenger cruise.

This famous voyage lasted 3 years from 1873 to 1876, and although it paved the way for establishing the principles of marine sciences, it carried a lot of scientific information outside ocean sciences.

Scientists have since tried to delve into this topic and collect information about this dust and the size of the quantities that fall on our planet, as many studies have been issued, but their accurate calculation was not available before in this way.

More science







LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here