YouTube CEO Susan Wojski said that the platform may lift the ban imposed on the account of former US President Donald Trump, if “the possibility of violence recedes.”
She added that the company would look at government warnings and speech inciting violence to determine when it would be safe to lift the ban.
Trump’s account was subject to a ban following a riot in Congress on January 6 that killed five people.
YouTube said he (Trump) violated their policy of inciting violence.
“It is clear that the current situation is that there is still an increased risk of violence,” Wojski said during an interview with the Atlantic Council think tank, which is concerned with the field of international relations, on Thursday.
She explained that the behavior of the former president had not resulted in a complete ban on the platform.
The company operates under the “three violations” system, according to which a user account receives three warnings of “violations” within 90 days before the account is permanently blocked.
Trump’s comment in January was the first infraction.
Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s former personal attorney, received his second ballot earlier this week over allegations that the recent US presidential election had been “stolen.”
Usually, the first violation leads to the suspension of the account for a week, but Trump’s term is extended due to the continuing “risk of violence.”
The US President had imposed a ban on the use of many social media after a large group of his supporters stormed the Congress building on January 6.
Trump was also banned from tweeting and commenting on Facebook.
The content control committee on Facebook is looking into whether the ban should be final, but it is not clear when the committee will issue its decision.
The US authorities also brought criminal charges against 221 people who were involved in the riots.