Buckingham Palace announced that Prince Philip (99 years), husband of Queen Elizabeth II, who has been in hospital for more than two weeks due to an infection, had undergone a “successful operation” to treat a heart problem he had previously been diagnosed with.
The palace said in a statement that the Duke of Edinburgh, who was transferred Monday to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, “underwent yesterday (Wednesday) a successful operation because of a heart problem he had.”
The statement added, “Prince Philip will stay in the hospital for several days in order to receive treatment, rest and recover.”
Prince Philip was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital on February 16, treated for an infection, and then transferred to another hospital for heart examinations, which raised fears of a deteriorating health condition.
It is located near St Paul’s Cathedral in central London and houses the largest specialized cardiovascular service in Europe.
Prince Charles’s wife, Camilla, said on Wednesday that Prince Philip’s health was “improving slightly”.
“Sometimes it hurts,” said Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, adding, “We reserve hope.”
Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was hospitalized “as a precautionary measure” on February 16 because of a health problem. Buckingham Palace announced a few days later that he had been hospitalized as a result of an infection whose details were not revealed.
His son, Prince Charles, heir to the throne, visited him in the hospital. His grandson Prince William confirmed last week that the Duke of Edinburgh is in good health and his doctors are closely monitoring his condition.
Prince Philip retired from public life in August 2017 after participating in more than 22,000 official events since his wife’s accession to the throne in 1952. He continues to accompany the Queen in some public appearances.
In June 2017, Prince Philip was hospitalized, where he spent two nights due to an “infection related to a previously diagnosed disease.” He underwent hip surgery in 2018.
In January 2019, he was involved in a car accident after his “Land Rover” vehicle collided with another car upon exit from Sandringham, which led to his car overturning.
He survived the accident, but subsequently gave up his driver’s license.
At the end of December of the same year, he was admitted to Edward VII Hospital, where he spent four nights “under observation due to previously diagnosed health problems”, according to the British royal departments.
Follow our latest local and sports news, and the latest political and economic developments via Google news