Therefore, the (Android Police) site contacted Slack to ensure the authenticity of these messages, and company representatives told them that these messages are real and not a fraud, and that the links inside the message are safe to click on, and it is to fix a problem in the version of the Slack application for Android.
Where, from December 21, 2020, to January 21, 2021, the application recorded the users’ login data as plain text without any encryption by mistake, and hackers can easily discover this. So affected users are notified via email to reset their passwords.
Slack is proactively asking users to change their passwords, as the sent email includes instructions to change the password and clear the app’s cache, although there is no evidence of password theft or account hacking yet.
But it is not yet clear whether or not all affected users have been alerted, so it is best for anyone using the Slack app on an Android device to follow the company’s suggestions, even if they haven’t received the email in question.
First; How to change your Slack password:
You can update the password for the app using the link in the email if it reaches you. If the message did not arrive, you can follow the following steps:
Note: You cannot reset the Slack password through the app, you have to do this step through the desktop version.
- Go to the Slack application on a computer running Windows or macOS, or open the browser on your computer and go to this link directly https://slack.com/signin.
- Click on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Click on the option (Profile and account) from the menu that appears to you, this will open your account file on the right side of your screen.
- Click on the option (more) More. Then click on the option (account settings) Account settings.
- Next to the (Password) option; Click on the option (expand) expand.
- Then; Reset or change the password: If you forget your current password, click on the option (Reset your password by emial), and an email will be sent to you containing a link to reset your password.
- If you know the current password, enter it, then type the new password, then press the option (Save Password) to finish.
Then; Make sure to install the latest version of the Slack application in your device, if the application is working in your phone correctly, you can go to Google Play and update it, and if not, you can safely download the latest version from Google Play.
Secondly; How to clear an app’s cache:
You should also clear the app’s data cache in your device to ensure that improperly stored password data is removed. You can do this with the following steps:
- Go to settings on your Android phone.
- Click on the option (application management), then click on the option (application list) App List, where you will find a list of all applications installed in your phone. Keep in mind that depending on the model, these options may change on your phone.
- Find Slack in the list of apps that appeared to you; Then click on it.
- Click on the “Storage Usage” option, where you will see how much space the Slack app is using.
- Click (Clear cache) to remove the cached data.
- Click on the (Clear Storage) option to delete all application data from your phone, but this step will reset the application settings, as it will return as if you have reinstalled it immediately.
Note: Clearing the app’s cache logs you out of the Slack app, so you can log in again afterward.
Note: The content of this news was written by Arab portal for technical news It does not express a point of view Egypt today Rather, it was transferred with its content as it is from Arab portal for technical news We are not responsible for the content of the news and the custody of the previous source mentioned.