Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said on Friday that he intends to hold the Tokyo Olympics as scheduled. In the Japanese parliament, Suga said he would cooperate with the Tokyo government and the International Olympic Committee. Soga’s comments come after a report by the British newspaper The Times, which quoted a source in the ruling coalition as saying that the Japanese government has implicitly recognized that the games should be canceled due to the Corona virus pandemic.
In turn, the Organizing Committee of the Tokyo Olympics said today, Friday, that all partners, including the International Olympic Committee, are focusing on holding the Olympics next summer. A Japanese government spokesman also denied what was stated in the Times report, saying that “there is no truth to the determination of the possibility of canceling the Olympics.” And the Organizing Committee of the Tokyo Olympics, who was postponed for a year until the summer of 2021 due to the Corona virus, had previously confirmed its intention to hold the event despite the continuing outbreak of “Covid-19”, but did not rule out the hypothesis that the public would be absent.
The CEO of Tokyo 2020, Toshiro Moto, admitted in an interview with Agence France-Presse, last Tuesday, that people are “anxious” as the number of virus infections continues to rise all over the world, including Japan, where Tokyo is under an emergency. And a poll in Japan this month showed that nearly 80 percent of those polled were against holding the games this year, even after organizers unveiled a raft of measures to combat the virus.