The Al-Jazeera correspondent in Libya reported that military reinforcements affiliated with the Al-Wefaq government arrived on Sunday at the main fighting axes near the central port city of Sirte, 450 kilometers east of Tripoli, and about 250 kilometers east of Misrata.
In parallel with the introduction of more reinforcements from individuals and mechanisms, this afternoon, the Al-Wefaq Air Force carried out raids on the sites of Haftar forces in the “Ouagadougou” conference complex in the center of Sirte, and on the perimeter of the Qaradabiya base outside it. It took control at the beginning of this year.
A military source from the Al-Wefaq government forces told Al-Jazeera that some of its forces are stationed west of Sirte, and some are located in the Abu Qurain and Al-Washaka axes east of Misrata.
In turn, Libyan military sources indicated that the Al-Wefaq government forces advanced from Misurata and reached the steam station (25 kilometers west of Sirte) through three main axes, which are the sea axis along the coast, the coastal road axis and passes through the areas of Abu Qurain, Al-Washaka and Buwair Al-Hassoun, then the Gate of Fifty, then Gate The thirtieth, and finally the axis of the River Road, a dirt axis located southwest of Sirte, while Haftar’s forces retreated about 100 Miles east.
In addition to the resistance shown by battalions loyal to Haftar in Sirte, the advanced al-Wefaq forces were attacked towards Sirte by several raids carried out yesterday, Saturday, by an Emirati plane, killing 15 of its members, and slowed their progress, while al-Wefaq aircraft responded with five raids against targets inside Sirte, in addition to dropping Haftar Wing Long drones
Complete the mission
Libyan officials affirmed the determination of Al-Wefaq forces to enter Sirte, after exchanging statements attributed to the member of the Presidential Council of the Al-Wefaq Government, Ahmad Maitiq, after his visit to Moscow, that he ordered the Sirte Liberation Operations Room and Al-Jafra not to storm Sirte because it was a “red line”.
In a tweet on Twitter today, Libyan Interior Minister Fathi Pashaga said that the red lines are drawn by sacrifices, and are not subject to dictates, adding that the city of Sirte will be in the bosom of the country and under the umbrella of legitimacy.
He added that there is neither complete nor complete perfection for the country without the East, which represents history, effort and originality, noting that Barqa is greater than Haftar, and Libya is greater than everyone.
For his part, Commander of the Sirte and Al Jafrah Operations and Security Operations Brigadier General Ibrahim Bait Al-Mal said that any attempts to stop the reconciliation forces ’progress towards Sirte and the eastern region of Libya would be a failure.
He added that the sacrifices made by the forces push them to continue to restore Sirte and the base of Jufra without paying attention to any foreign presence in them.
The Al-Wefaq government forces launched operations towards the city of Sirte and the base of Al-Jafra after recovering in the past few days the areas south of Tripoli and the city of Tarhuna (80 km southeast of the capital), and previously recovered all the cities of the West Coast and most of the cities of the western mountain.
With its announcement that it is determined to recover Sirte that it lost last year, as well as the Al-Jafra base and the eastern regions of Libya, the Libyan Al-Wefaq government does not seem to be paying attention to the initiative announced by Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in the presence of Haftar for a cease-fire in Libya.
Al-Sisi announced yesterday this initiative, which he said was aimed at resolving the Libyan crisis, which includes a cease-fire that begins on Monday morning, and Russia, Jordan, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia welcomed the initiative and announced their support for it, while Algeria said today that it “took note” of it.
For his part, head of the Supreme Council of the State of Libya, Khaled al-Mashri, rejected the Egyptian initiative and the conditions it held, saying that the defeated does not impose conditions.
As for the UN mission in Libya, it welcomed the regional and international calls for a cease-fire in Libya, and called for an early resumption of the joint military committee talks between the Al-Wefaq government and Haftar forces, which were stopped in Geneva in February.
The UN mission said – in a statement – that the political solution to the Libyan crisis is still within reach, with what it described as encouraging signs.
The call came days after the United Nations announced that the Al-Wefaq government and Haftar’s forces had accepted the resumption of talks, which the Al-Wefaq government did not confirm it had accepted.
Politically also, a statement issued by the Tunisian Foreign Ministry stated that Minister Noureddine El-Rai confirmed in a telephone conversation with his counterparts in Libya, Morocco, Egypt and Algeria, Tunisia’s firm and supportive stances of the Libyan people and their institutions as defined by international legitimacy decisions and political agreement, in a way that guarantees Libya’s unity, sovereignty, security and stability, according to the text of the Tunisian statement .
For its part, the Algerian Foreign Ministry today called on various actors regionally and internationally to coordinate efforts to settle the Libyan crisis politically.
Yesterday, Saturday, Haftar’s forces spokesman, Ahmed Al-Mismari, said in a television interview that what he described as “some friendly countries” had let their forces down in front of the Al-Wefaq government forces, after losing strategic positions in the vicinity of the capital, Tripoli, in addition to the city of Tarhuna.
On the other hand, the National Oil Corporation of Libya said that production gradually resumed from the largest oil fields in the country after a four-month blockade.
The resumption of the production of the Sharara field, located in the southern Murzuq desert, which has a capacity of 300,000 barrels per day, comes after Haftar’s forces withdrew from it.
The Guard of the Oil Facilities said that a valve between the Sharara field and the Al-Zawiya port, northwest of Libya, was reopened.
The company had recently said that Libya’s losses as a result of the stoppage in production of some fields amounted to about five billion dollars since January 19.
In a statement issued today, the US embassy in Tripoli welcomed the resumption of production in the Sharara field and rejected the “militarization” of the energy sector.