The murdered fiancé of the murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi urged New England United fans to “unite to protect” the club from plans to acquire it by the Public Investment Fund in Saudi Arabia.
In an open letter, Khadija Genghis said, “As the loyal fans, you have a great opinion on this.”
Western intelligence agencies believe that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who heads the Public Investment Fund, was the one who ordered the killing of Khashoggi in 2018, which the emir denies.
It appears that the Public Investment Fund is financing 80 percent of the £ 300m deal to acquire Newcastle, who plays in the Premier League and has been owned by Mike Ashley since 2007.
Khadija said in her message, “I appeal to you (the masses) to consider whether accepting the offer of Muhammad bin Salman is in fact the right way to get out of despair for your club and your city.”
“I appeal to all of you to unite in order to protect your beloved club and city from the crown prince and those around him.”
“They are taking this step not to help you, and they are not thinking about your interests, but only to serve themselves.”
“Their hearts will not really be with the club, which means everything to you.”
“I urge you to send this message out loud and clear to the Premier League, manage your club, the leaders of your city, and the world.”
“We should not let the beautiful soccer game be ashamed of those who are not passionate about it and who only seek to use it to hide their shocking actions,” she added.
- Khashoggi’s fiancée calls for the refusal of Saudi Arabia’s acquisition of Newcastle
- Warning about Amnesty International regarding Saudi plans to acquire Newcastle United
What happened to Jamal Khashoggi?
What happened to Jamal Khashoggi?
On October 2, 2018, Khashoggi, who was an opponent and columnist for The Washington Post living in self-imposed exile in the United States, went to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to request documents to marry Khadija.
While waiting for Khadija abroad, a Saudi security team killed Khashoggi, who was 59 years old, and dismembered him, investigators believe. His body has not yet been found.
The United Nations Special Rapporteur on the investigation into the murder of Khashoggi, Agnes Calamard, said that there is reliable evidence that the Saudi crown prince and other high-ranking Saudi officials are responsible in their individual capacities.
Last year, a Saudi court sentenced to death five people and imprisoned three others in the Khashoggi killing case, while Turkey filed separate charges with 20 suspects in the crime.
What do we know about the acquisition?
Ashley offered the club for sale in 2017. The Saudi acquisition offer has already caused much controversy.
The Saudi government is accused of facilitating the theft of commercial rights to the Premier League from a Qatari company, while Amnesty International has criticized the potential deal because of the “terrible human rights record in the country.”
The country was also accused of “sport washing”, a term used to describe countries trying to improve their international reputation by investing in major teams or hosting major sporting events.
But the Saudi government rejects these accusations, and says it wants to increase people’s interest in sports.
Complaints for the Premier League
Khadija Genghis has written a letter to the English Premier League operators calling for the acquisition to be blocked.
In response, Richard Masters, CEO of the competition, said that the Premier League follows “the due process procedures required by UK law and the rules for the Premier League,” which “go beyond what British corporate law requires”, noting that the rules are “strictly enforced.”
But he also said, in the letter seen by the BBC, that he was “appreciative of her sweeping feelings,” and he repeated his condolences to her.
Last month, Qatar Sports BN Sports, one of the premier overseas broadcast partners for the Premier League, called for a “full investigation” of the proposed acquisition of Newcastle United.
The CEO of the Qatari giant, Yousef Al-Obaidly, also sent letters to the heads of Premier League clubs about the deal.
Al-Obaidli accused the Saudi government of “facilitating the theft of commercial rights to the Premier League for almost three years by supporting the huge pirate service (POTQ).”