Reuters – Airbus, the aircraft maker, has told its senior staff that the company must “change its size” as part of plans to announce around the end of June and that it is ready to cut production again in the face of any second wave of the Corona virus crisis, according to informed sources.
Speaking to managers, Geum Fury said, “Face the reality” in a briefing on Thursday about the crisis, which has halted the flight of an estimated 14,000 planes or two-thirds of the global fleet and has caused a cash crisis for airlines.
Furi again warned that Airbus may not continue unless changes were made, and stressed the need to take “radical”, “proactive”, and urgent steps, according to people who took note of the demonstration.
An Airbus spokesman said no decision had been made. He added, “Any new measures will be discussed first with our partners in society, which means that it is too early to speculate on any numbers.”
The warnings issued by the head of one of Europe’s largest employers, factories in four countries, come amid speculation that thousands of jobs will be lost due to restructuring.
In his first-time demonstration, Fawry pointed to a possible “restructuring plan”, but he told managers that what a British newspaper said about cutting 10,000 jobs was just speculation.
He said that Airbus plans to adjust its structure to make it simpler and more profitable, using the “all necessary” social tools, according to the sources who were informed about it after the administration’s weekly phone conference.
Sources in the sector said on Wednesday that Airbus was considering a restructuring that includes deep job cuts after the temporary layoffs of thousands of workers, but the decision is not forthcoming.