Posted in: Last updated:
German Sebastian Vettel, the four-time F1 world champion, will leave Ferrari at the end of the 2020 season, after the “common desire” to continue the journey, while the Italian team did not disclose on Tuesday the identity of the driver who will succeed him.
“My relationship with Ferrari will end at the end of 2020. In order to get the best results in this sport, it is vital for all parties to work in perfect harmony,” Vettel said in a statement.
“We felt with the team that there was no longer a common desire to stay together beyond the end of this season.”
In turn, team manager Mattia Pinoto said in a statement, “This decision was taken by mutual agreement between us and Sebastian, and both parties considered this to be in their best interest. It was not an easy decision given Sebastian’s value as a driver and a human being … There was no specific reason that led to this decision, except for the general belief And the valley is that it is time to move on a separate path to reach our goals. ”
Vettel has been with the “wild horse” team since 2015 when he replaced instead of Spaniard Fernando Alonso, but he was unable to give him the world title, as he did four times with his former team, Red Bull. Ferrari’s last world title with Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen returns in 2007.
Vettel, world champion between 2010 and 2013, scored 53 wins in the world championship, including 14 with Ferrari.
While the news is extremely important in the world of the first category, it was expected, especially after the course of last year.
In the last season, Vettel faced the strong rise of his young teammate Charles Leclerc, as the son of the Principality of Monaco stole the spotlight from him and won the title of two races in exchange for one coronation for the German.
Locklear (22 years), who Vettel advanced in the overall ranking of drivers (fourth solution and Vettel V), had extended his contract with Ferrari last December until 2024.
Reports indicated that Ferrari was only extending Vettel’s contract for one year and reducing his salary, but the German indicated Tuesday that “the financial factor did not play a role in this decision.”
After Vettel’s departure is announced, speculation will intensify about his replacement in the Red Team.
Attention has recently focused on the six-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, whose contract with Mercedes will come to an end at the end of the current season, which was not originally launched due to the outbreak of the new Corona virus. But Hamilton hinted that he would stay with the German team.
Among the candidates to succeed Vettel are Spanish Carlos Sainz Jr. (McLaren), Australian Daniel Ricciardo (Renault) and Italian Antonio Jovincci (Alfa Romeo).
Vettel’s start was strong in the world of the first category, and many expected his superiority over fellow countryman Michael Schumacher, who was crowned seven times in the world championship, including five titles with Ferrari. But after Vettel’s quadruple with Red Bull, Ferrari bowed to Mercedes and its British star Hamilton.
The Formula One championship is preparing for the possibility of a brief season without an audience due to the circumstances imposed by the outbreak of the new Corona virus.
The World Series I championship was scheduled to start at the Albert Park in Melbourne, Australia, on March 15, but “Covid-19” prompted the last-minute decision to cancel the race before starting its free trials.
The first nine phases of the abolition rule (Australia, Monaco and France) are either postponed or postponed without setting a new date for them (Bahrain, China, Vietnam, Netherlands, Spain, Azerbaijan and Canada).
But the world champions organizers hope to be able to launch the season on July 5 at the Red Bull Circuit in Austria, and to hold a second race after only a week on the same circuit, and that this is linked to health measures and government restrictions imposed on a large scale to reduce the spread of the virus.
© 2020 AFP