The Saudi-led coalition to fight Houthi militants in Yemen has announced a ceasefire, officials said.
And sources said to the BBC that the ceasefire will begin today, Thursday, in support of the United Nations efforts to end the war that has been going on for five years and to prepare the atmosphere for facing the spread of the Corona virus.
The coalition supports the government of President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi in the face of the Houthi militants who control the capital, Sanaa
It is not clear whether the Houthis will also abide by the ceasefire.
The United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, last month called for a ceasefire in the fighting in Yemen, and an intensification of efforts to address the possible spread of the Corona virus.
Guterres called on the warring parties in the country to work with his special envoy, Martin Griffiths, to find a reduction of tension across the country.
On Wednesday, Griffiths welcomed the news of the ceasefire.
He said: “The parties must now seize this opportunity, and immediately stop all hostilities at full speed.”
The two sides are expected to participate in a video conference to discuss the ceasefire. The proposed proposal calls for an end to air strikes and sea and land bombing.
The Saudi-led forces alliance statement said: “On the occasion of the efforts of the United Nations envoy in Yemen, and working to succeed it, to alleviate the suffering of the brotherly Yemeni people, and work to confront the Corona epidemic, and prevent its spread, the coalition declares a comprehensive cease-fire for a period of two weeks, starting from Thursday “.
The situation in Yemen has long been described as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. The war claimed the lives of many civilians, and pushed the country to the brink of collapse.
The United Nations has brokered talks in the past, but this is the first time that the coalition has announced a ceasefire across the country.
And he said. Muhammad Abd al-Salam, a spokesman for the Houthi movement, said the movement presented a vision to the United Nations, including an end to the war, and a “siege” against Yemen.
Our chief international correspondent, Liss Dusit, says that with this step Saudi Arabia is trying to find a way out of the expensive military campaign in Yemen.