Posted in: Last updated:
The Italian Football Federation president Gabriele Gravina confirmed his determination to complete the football season in the first division, even if it ends in August.
“We will do everything in our power to end the patrols, and if we are forced, we will ask the European Union and the International Federation to extend the period beyond June 30 and play in July and August,” if necessary, Gravina told Radio Marti.
“It is too early to think of a specific date, but we must maintain our optimism, especially in terms of the Italians’ health, and we hope that this situation will end as soon as possible.”
Italy is one of the countries most affected by the “Covid-19” virus, and the local authorities imposed strict isolation measures on the population, including the closure of shops and public places, except for food stores and pharmacies, and stopped all sports activity until at least April 3.
Gravina responded last week to a question about the date of the Serie A resumption and replied, “We are working on the premise of starting again on the second of May and ending the competitions if possible with the beginning of July, in case we were not able to do so by June 30.”
“And in the event that it is impossible to use all the available windows, as planned, we will change the format of the competitions.”
Gravina denied the possibility of ceasing the league categorically or granting the title to the league leader (Juventus) and said in this regard, “This will lead to a hateful scenario. I will continue to reject this scenario as long as it is possible.”
Representatives from the Italian Confederation, the League, the League of Players and the Government will hold a meeting on Thursday to discuss future solutions.
© 2020 AFP