The British newspaper “The Guardian” shed light on the subject of reports on the number of victims of the emerging “Corona” virus in countries witnessing wars and major crises, particularly in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon.
After many questions about the reliability of the reports on the numbers of new Corona virus victims in countries witnessing wars and major crises, the British Guardian newspaper shed light on the issue, particularly in Lebanon, Iraq and Syria, pointing to “there are fears among health officials that the true number of people infected” With the virus in these countries, surpassing the official figures revealed by the three governments, ”and they believe that“ non-state actors isolate entire groups of patients in areas outside the control of the state. ”
The newspaper pointed out that officials, including aid workers and international monitors, spoke to them last week, stating that “parts of Lebanon and Iraq in particular are likely to be holding thousands of wounded”, and that “the lack of information about them represents a health risk in the next three months” .
The newspaper continued that officials believe that “Corona patients are harbored and guarded by political groups in central and southern Iraq, and southern Lebanon.
It is believed that the worst scenario in Syria, where the state structures weaken, while the number of internally displaced people amounts to 7 million, and the departure of large parts of the country from the control of the central government makes controlling the spread of the virus almost impossible ».
A parallel entity in Lebanon
“The Guardian” – quoting officials – concluded that “the land and air links between the three countries have been severed, but there are great fears that large numbers of virus carriers were able to return before the border closes in mid-March.”
She added: «The returnees arrived in Lebanon from all over the world, including a priest who traveled from Italy, it is believed that it caused the transmission of infection to a number of people, as travelers from Milan and London transmitted the infection to others, however, attention was focused on arriving from Qom Iranian, where the largest virus outbreak in the region.
Iraqis and Iraqis, including merchants and visitors, were in Qom, gradually returning by bus and plane to Baghdad and Beirut, as the crisis worsened, with only a few patients being treated in public hospitals.
The Secretary General of the Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah Party said that the returning members were placed in quarantine, pledging to be transparent regarding injuries, however, so far, the numbers of suspected or confirmed cases have not been announced, at a time of increasing fears that the official number is relatively low. The cases in Lebanon (463 until Sunday night) is actually much higher.
The existence of a parallel Lebanese health entity dealing with its injuries has caused concern among current and former health officials, who say the central government should obtain patient data and be responsible for treatment.
One of the officials told the newspaper: “We are not saying this to create a problem for a particular political party or region of the country. But we know that there is a much bigger problem in Lebanon than is recognized. ”
Deaths without cause
A second official claimed that in recent weeks Hezbollah had quarantined areas in several towns in the south of the country, providing food and water to those suspected of being infected.
The official claimed that the neighborhoods were guarded by party members.
Hizbullah Executive Council member Hisham Safi al-Din said last week that the party had 25,000 paramedics alerted to treat patients.
He said the party had put 1,500 doctors and 3,000 nurses in public hospitals, and was preparing empty hotels to use as isolation areas, and the party reported that it was monitoring 1,200 people who had returned from Iran, and he did not say whether symptoms of the virus were shown.
Council officials and Hezbollah members in southern Lebanon have released pictures of manufactured homes and large blue tents, which they say will be designated as quarantine centers or treatment centers for future conditions. The party plans to present its preparations during a media tour in its stronghold in the southern suburbs of Beirut. “What they did not say is that these facilities are needed now,” said one of the officials. This is not a future planning. It deals with an urgent urgent need. The public needs to know this, as do the people who are crafting a global response.
“What is happening here is important outside the country.” Likewise, the official Iraqi figure of 630 has been largely challenged within the country and in the region. One official stated: “People die in their homes with this disease throughout the country, and they are buried without the authorities acknowledging their death. The numbers, the areas of infection, must be understood, otherwise efforts to stop the epidemic will be thwarted elsewhere. ”
Two months after the epidemic, the number of cases in the Middle East continues to rise steadily.
It is believed that more tests last week showed a sharp increase in injuries in recent days.
Lebanon had the lowest regional average score between 150 and 200 a day, but it has increased since the middle of the week.
As for the Gulf states, they were conducting tests on a larger scale, and the borders were closed in the three countries and it is scheduled to remain so for at least two weeks.
In northwestern Syria, the director of the Idlib Health Directorate, Dr. Munther Al-Khalil said: “In one year, we lost about 76 health facilities. Donations declined, medical personnel were killed, arrested, or displaced. “The health sector in Idlib cannot deal with an unavoidable disease, and we fear 100,000 people will die unless we get supplies immediately.” He added that «our respirators are always 100% busy and we do not have one bed ready for Corona virus today. The camps are fertile grounds for the virus to spread, with 10 or more people sharing one tent.