You can control Xbox One via the Google Assistant to turn the device on and off, to start a game, record a video, take a screenshot while playing, or raise and lower the volume.
Here’s how to set up Google Assistant and use it with Xbox One:
To set up the Google Assistant on Xbox One, you will need to have the Google Home app installed on Android or iPhone. The application is freely available for Android devices users on Google Play, and for iPhone users on the App Store.
- After you’ve finished installing the app, sign in to your Xbox One with your Microsoft account.
- Open the Google Home app on your phone, and tap the “+” sign in the upper left corner of the screen to add a new device.
- Click the Set up device option.
Topics related to what you are reading now:
- Under the “Works with Google” section, click on “Have something already set up”.
- Click the search icon in the upper-right corner of the screen and type (Xbox), where your device will appear; click on it.
- You will be prompted to sign in, be sure to use the same account that you use to sign in to Xbox.
- Microsoft will ask your permission to allow Google to use your information. For Google Assistant to work with Xbox, click on the “Yes” option.
- After a few seconds of signing in, the Google Home app will display the name of your Xbox on the screen. Click on the name of your Xbox, then click the “Add to a Room” button at the bottom of the screen, and select a room you want to add this device to.
Note: If your Xbox is named after a stranger in the Google Home app, rename it to something as simple as “Xbox”, as you will need to say this name every time you want to issue an order to the device via Google Assistant.
Now that Google Assistant has been set up; you can try some voice commands to control your Xbox, and Microsoft has included some voice commands that will help you:
- Hi Google, Play Xbox.
- Hey Google; play Fortnite game on Xbox.
- Hey Google, Turn up the volume on Xbox.
- Hey Google; Take a screenshot on Xbox.
- Hi Google, Register that on Xbox.
- Hey Google; Play YouTube on Xbox.
- Hey Google, turn off Xbox.